Friday 6 April 2018

April is Bowel Cancer Awareness Month - Day 6 Amy Mattingly


Yesterday Amy Mattingly tragically passed away aged just 32. Amy had bowel cancer. I did not meet or even know Amy personally, but I did follow her on social media. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this time. 

Since my mother's bowel cancer diagnosis in 2012 I have met many bowel cancer patients, their relatives and people in the cancer community. It's an incredibly close, kind and supportive community. There are so many wonderful people, many of whom will be feeling sad today after learning about Amy..

Amy didn't want any terms like fighting or losing battles used to describe her or what she went through. Her words were, "Feel free to speak about my determination, my persistence, my spirit and my joy for life." Her last wish was that people "do something", and help raise money to help beat bowel cancer.

I try and raise awareness about bowel cancer, and funds for Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK pretty much every day of the year, and that will continue with everything sold today on my www.bowelcancerfundraising.co.uk website dedicated to Amy's memory