Thursday 5 April 2018

April is Bowel Cancer Awareness Month - Day 5 Cook Along with Celebrities and Inspirational People


Dafydd Wyn Farr-Jones has been one of my biggest supporters all the way through my own bowel cancer fundraising efforts going back over five years. Daf is a bowel cancer survivor, and he dedicates an amazing amount of time to fundraising for the charity by holding celebrity auctions, and has raised thousands of pounds for Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK, the UK's leading bowel cancer charity. During bowel cancer awareness month he is selling his charity book, Cook Along with Celebrities and Inspirational People for just £3 including P&P. It features recipes from some famous faces including Victoria Derbyshire, Matthew Wright and Lorraine Kelly. I was honoured to be asked to be in the book. I am not brilliant in the kitchen, but I was able to put in one of my favourite of mum's recipes. Brilliant value and well worth supporting.

Daf was a great help with the last book I published, Lives & Times. He gave me some ideas, and put me in touch with Lorraine Kelly, which was a great chapter in the book. He has also given me a number of contacts for the new book, The Record, and I'm very pleased that Daf will also feature in the book. 


Bowel cancer is often perceived as an older person's illness, affecting those aged 50 and above. However, more and more younger people including Daf are being affected by cancer. Each year 2,500 people under the age of 50 are diagnosed with bowel cancer. Lots more needs to be done in raising awareness about bowel cancer, especially when in comes to younger people as diagnosis can be delayed or even missed with devastating consequences.