Sunday 27 May 2018

Photographing Gaz Top in Kentish Town


Last night I had the pleasure of meeting television presenter Gareth Jones (Gaz Top) for my forthcoming bowel cancer fundraising book in Kentish Town before The Alarm's concert at The O2 Forum. As with any London gig it was busy and hectic, but Gareth, the former Alarm roadie before his TV career, made time to talk to me, and take photos even though he was running late, and he was a very popular figure in demand with many old friends wanting to say hello.

Transport problems, and a fantastic gig will add to the flavour of this chapter, but what stood out was a few bits and pieces that Gareth revealed to me including, sadly, a bowel cancer connection. He was ever so friendly and wanting to make sure I got what I needed for the book, even going the extra mile and sending me a very detailed email responding to a few questions, so a massive thanks to him.

My mum passed away in 2016 four and a half years after being diagnosed with bowel cancer. Although the operation to remove the tumour in her bowel was successful, the cancer spread to her lungs and she underwent four further operations to remove cancerous nodules. It was only when the cancer also spread to her brain that her health deteriorated and we were at her bedside when she peacefully passed away a week after her 80th birthday. All proceeds raised from sales of the new book, to be called The Record, will be donated to Bowel Cancer UK / Beating Bowel Cancer, the UK's leading bowel cancer charity.