Monday 24 September 2018

Photographing The Original Status Quo Line Up For Bowel Cancer Charity Book


It was over four years ago that I began meeting people for my bowel cancer fundraising books. My first ever request was emailed to Status Quo and they came back with a yes. Of course in my naivety at the time I thought that everyone would say yes! So I photographed the original Status Quo line up that reformed for the gigs in 2014 from the press pit at the Hammersmith Apollo, and it was absolutely amazing. It really felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I managed to take about 200 photos in the 10 minutes you are allowed in the pit before being ejected from the venue! The full story along with some of the very best photos appeared in my Lives & Times charity book, which has so far raised over £4000 for Bowel Cancer UK (Beating Bowel Cancer Together). The photo below shows just how close to stage I was... Thanks Quo! 😊


Lives & Times was published in 2015, and at the time of publication my mother was receiving treatment for bowel cancer, having been diagnosed in 2012. It is one of my proudest achievements having mum see the finished book and how successful it has been. Sadly she died in 2016, and my next book, due for publication 2019, will be raising funds in her memory. Bowel Cancer UK is striving towards a day when no-one dies of bowel cancer. At the moment it is the second highest cancer killer as 16,000 people die each year. However, if detected early it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases.

Sadly, since publication of Lives & Times, Rick Parfitt of Status Quo died on Christmas Eve 2016. I am happy to reveal that I've met John Coghlan from Quo for the forthcoming book.