Monday 10 September 2018

Nicola Bryant Features In Forthcoming Bowel Cancer Charity Book


Towards the end of 2017 I met Nicola Bryant, perhaps best remembered for playing "Peri Brown" in Doctor Who during the 1980s. However, we probably spent more time talking about dogs than anything else. Anyone who follows Nicola on Twitter will know all about her love of dogs, especially her dog Harvey. I had brought my Prince along with me for the ride, and he had only recently been diagnosed with multiple slipped discs at the time. Nicola made a big fuss of him which made her a new friend. I am pleased to report that Prince, although there is no cure for him, is doing remarkably well, and is a very happy dog.


But I digress... We talked about Nicola's time on Doctor Who, but also in the chapter there will be a few interesting facts about her that I did not know, and her first record is a cracker! Bowel cancer has sadly touched Nicola's family on her partner's side, so I remain truly grateful for her support. I am hoping to finish the photography and meetings for the book by the end of the year, so I will hopefully finally get it published in spring 2019 fingers crossed. I have put two and half years of my life into it, so I hope that it will be worth the wait for everyone.

Bowel cancer is the second highest cancer killer in the UK. Each year 41,000 people are diagnosed with it, and 16,000 lose their lives. However, if detected early it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases, so it is crucial to raise awareness about bowel cancer, and improve early detection rates. At the moment only 15% of patients are diagnosed at the early stage 1. 

My mother died in August 2016 four and a half years after being diagnosed with bowel cancer. After her operation to have the tumour removed from bowel, mum had four further operations when the cancer spread to her left lung. She managed to lead a normal and very happy life right up until the last few months when the cancer finally spread to her brain. All my fundraising is now being done in her memory, which even included a charity tandem skydive this summer, which confronted my fear of heights head on...


My last fundraising book, Lives & Times, has raised over £4000 for Bowel cancer UK, and all proceeds raised from sales of the forthcoming book, The Record, featuring Nicola will also be donated to the same charity. Please check out for my ETSY online store for all my cancer fundraising items.