Tuesday 13 March 2018

Who Could I Meet In New York In May For My Bowel Cancer Charity Book?


This May I will be going to America for the first time, and although I will only be in New York for a few days, I thought it would be amazing if I could get a high profile New Yorker to come on board, The Record, my forthcoming bowel cancer fundraising book.  I am doing the book in memory of my Mum to raise money for Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK. Apart from it potentially being a brilliant experience in an amazing location, it would also potentially help raise the profile of the book, and my fundraising in America. 

So if you know of any celebrities in New York, who you think might be good to target, please let me know. 

My Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012. After her bowel operation she lived on for almost five years before passing away in 2016. She had 4 operations to remove nodules from her lungs, and towards the end she received 'CyberKnife' treatment when the cancer spread to her brain. Throughout her cancer journey she lived with great courage and dignity, but the cancer never defined her, and she lived a very normal and happy life. 41,000 people are diagnosed with bowel cancer in the UK each year, and 16,000 people lose their lives. It is the second highest cancer killer, but if detected early it is very treatable in over 90% of cases. Much more needs to be done in raising awareness about this awful disease, and help increase early detection rates.