Wednesday 28 March 2018

Meeting Bowel Cancer UK / Beating Bowel Cancer CEO Deborah Alsina


Today I travelled to the Teddington office of Beating Bowel Cancer / Bowel Cancer UK to meet the charity's CEO, Deborah Alsina. I was really happy when she agreed to be in the fundraising book, and after the recent snow scuppered a recent meeting, it was good to finally meet Deborah today.

Even before the two charities recent merger, Deborah had always asked after my mother, and was very kind to me when she passed away 18 months ago. We had a lovely chat, and it was fascinating to hear someone talk about bowel cancer, and the aims of the charity, with such feeling and passion. It was my first visit to the Teddington office, and after almost 6 years of fundraising it was probably about time... I was made very welcome and even enjoyed a coffee in a Lives & Times mug

The new book, The Record, is well on the way now. I am hoping that it might be close to completion by the end of the year. Bowel cancer is the second highest cancer killer in the UK, claiming 16,000 years each year. However, if detected early it can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases. Raising awareness about bowel cancer is vital, and improve early detection rates. 

Everything being sold on my bowel cancer fundraising website raises funds for the charity, so please check out my online shop and support it if you can.