Sunday 4 March 2018

Laura Boyd Supporting The Record


On this day in 2017 I was in Glasgow to meet and photograph Scottish Television presenter Laura Boyd for my forthcoming bowel cancer fundraising book, The Record. To date this is still the furthest that I have gone to take a picture on my fundraising travels. I had originally approached Laura to be in the Lives & Times book, but unfortunately we weren't able to make that happen, so I was really happy to get the opportunity this time around.

Laura was diagnosed with leukemia since in 2009. She epitomizes positivity and living life to the full that I have seen in so many people living with cancer. This will be reflected in the photo that I have chosen to use in the forthcoming book, which is not the photo that I had planned to use... All will become clear in the book.

We met at Kelvingrove Park in the centre of Glasgow, which was somewhere where I could safely park with the dogs - sadly, Storm, one of my dogs has since died of lymphoma. Our midday meeting also allowed me to make a brief visit to Balloch Castle on Loch Lomond in the morning, which was a great location suggested by Laura. She was lovely to talk to and was very relaxed for the photos, which made my job, both enjoyable, and very straight forward. It's a really great chapter, and Laura's first record is an absolute belter! 😉 Since we met Laura has got married, and more recently she has started a blog, For The L Of It. Since we took this selfie I have got my hair a little more under control!

The book is being done in memory of my Mum, who died in August 2016 four and a half years after being diangnosed with bowel cancer. All funds raised from sales will be donated to Bowel Cancer UK (Beating  Bowel Cancer Together), the UK's leading bowel cancer charity. The book will also help raise awareness about this awful illness, which is the 2nd highest cancer killer in the UK. Yet if detected early it is very treatable in over 90% of cases.

Please check out my online fundraising store, where my other books are sold, alongside with art, t-shirts, mugs and pretty much anything that will raise funds for the charity 😊 The fundraising  now stands at over £4000. I am hoping that The Record will be publishedduring the first half of 2019, although this might change depending on quickly I can complete the meetings and photography I have still got to do...