Sunday 22 July 2018

Ben Richards Features in The Lives & Times Bowel Cancer Charity Book


One of the first people I approached and photographed for the Lives & Times book was the actor Ben Richards. Ben is in remission from bowel cancer, having been diagnosed in 2012, and he immediately said yes to my request, and was very enthusiastic to get involved.

In the above photo he posed with the Beating Bowel Cancer tie, which these days is used to support and promote the Follow The Bowel Cancer Tie group on Facebook. You can take a look of what that is about here. I won't reveal too much of what happened when I met Ben back in 2014, and instead hope you might buy the book and read the chapter instead, because the afternoon turned into a great story in itself with me getting unique access to rehearsals for the Rock of Ages musical that Ben was about to go on tour with. The support for the project never ceased to surprise me, and every time that I thought that things couldn't get any better they did!


Similar to Ben my mother was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2012. She had five major operations, and throughout it all she was very positive, never complained, and was happy to have any treatment that was required. Her main focus was always when could she ride her horse again, and start to drive her car. Although the surgery to remove the tumour from her bowel was successful, the cancer spread to her left lung, and then latterly to her brain. She sadly passed away in August 2016. 

I am currently writing a new fundraising book, which will be called The Record, and I am really happy that Ben's partner, television presenter Kirsty Duffy, has greed to be part of.